The Dow Jones Industrial Average has been incredibly interesting to watch as of late, and for good reason. There has been quite a bit of news with regard to economic movements, and oil, which both play a huge role in movement in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Today, we’ll talk about the recent news we’ve seen, and what binary options traders should be keeping a close eye on in the week ahead.
Last Week Was A Volatile Week For The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Last week was a very interesting week for the Dow Jones Industrial Average. While investors were still figuring out exactly what to do following the Federal Reserve’s decision not to increase interest rates, two new stories led to quite a bit of movement…
- OPEC – One of the larger stories that investors were watching last week was OPEC and their decision to reduce oil production. In a landmark deal, the world’s leading oil producers said that they would cap production in a range between 32.5 million and 33 million barrels per day. Considering the current production rate at 33.24 million barrels per day, this is a relatively small decline. However, the oil market needed something positive to happen, and this was definitely positive. With the Dow Jones Industrial Average being an energy-heavy index, this played a large role in the movement we saw throughout last week.
- Deutsche Bank – Another big story surrounded Deutsche Bank. Years after the financial crisis, the bank finally settled with the United States Department of Justice for their part in the crisis. Because of Deutsche Bank’s massive size and the role in plays in investments around the world, the news shook the global market, leading to movements in indices around the world, including the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
The Week Ahead Is Going To Be A Big One
While last week’s movement in the Dow Jones Industrial Average was largely asset-based, this week is likely going to be an economically driven week of volatility. Here’s what investors should be watching when trading the Dow in the week ahead…
- Monday – On Monday, the week will be kicked off with a key economic report. We will see data with regard to new home sales in the United States. Of course, any positive economic data in the US will likely lead to gains in the Dow, while negative news could lead to declines.
- Wednesday – For binary options traders interested in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Wednesday is going to be an action packed day. On Wednesday, we’ll see three key economic announcements. First and foremost, we’ll hear about durable goods orders in the month of September. Also, the EIA will release their report with regard to the state of the petroleum market. However, the big mover is going to be Janet Yellen. The Chair of the Federal Reserve will address the United States with regard to her opinion on US economic activity.
- Thursday – Finally, Thursday is going to be another big day. Early in the morning, we’ll receive news with regard to US GDP. At 5:10 PM, Janet Yellen will take center stage once again to discuss her opinion following the economic release. Of course, this will also likely lead to big movement in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
What Do You Think?
Where do you think the Dow Jones Industrial Average is headed in the week ahead and why? Join the discussion in the comments below!
[Image Courtesy of Flickr]